Established in 1961 the Irvine Ranch Water District provides water, sewer, recycled water and urban runoff services to more than 300,000 residents and numerous major employment centers.
The Irvine Ranch Water District is an independent special district serving central Orange County. Governed by a five member publicly elected Board of Director, IRWD has one of the most diverse water supply portfolios in Southern California with investments in groundwater wells, treated groundwater systems, imported water, urban runoff treatment, and in one of the most extensive water recycling systems in the nation. IRWD’s overarching goal is to provide a reliable water supply at the least possible cost to our customers. IRWD customers enjoy some of the lowest water rates in Orange County.
Providing our customers with safe, high quality drinking water is IRWD's top priority. The District’s drinking water is safe and meets or exceeds all quality standards set by both the state and federal government. Approximately 65 percent of IRWD’s drinking water supply comes from local groundwater sources pumped through IRWD’s extensive well system. The remaining 35 percent of IRWD’s drinking water comes from the Colorado River and the State Water Project and is imported by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.
Water recycling is an essential component of IRWD’s water supply portfolio. A core IRWD value is that water is too valuable to be used just once. The use of recycled water extends drinking water supplies and is a key component of IRWD's conservation and water use efficiency programs. Every gallon of recycled water used saves a gallon of drinking water.
IRWD's sanitary sewer system collects wastewater coming from homes and businesses within the IRWD service area. Sewage is conveyed to two treatment plants through more than 800 miles of sewer distribution pipelines. The Michelson Water Recycling Plant in Irvine treats up to 18 million gallons of wastewater per day while the Los Alisos Water Recycling Plant in Lake Forest treats up to 5.5 million gallons per day.
In order to download data cards, you must login or register.
* labeled fields are required.Close